Wednesday 13 May 2015

The week before the big race!

Well, I'm hoping that this time next week I'll be recovering from some nice DOMS, Delayed onset muscle soreness after the 23km Great Ocean Road half marathon. 

My mindset for this race has changed more than just a few times since the beginning of my training early January. It's gone from 'I'll just plod along and enjoy it' to 'I'll run it at my 145 BPM HR and enjoy it' to 'I might just give this a fair crack!' and back to 'Nah, I'll just enjoy it'. 

Four days out, I'm going to have a crack at a PB time. After the #citytrailmelbourne 12k race (it was 16k for me...) I pulled up well and felt great. I had hit a new high in terms of middle to long distance running, able to run at and hold a competitive pace (4:10-4:20). 

My 145 training has gone from strength to strength. I've taken 30 - 45 seconds off my kilometer pace and I'm ready to 'blow out the cobwebs' with a race. How do I know? I don't really, but my last three 145 runs have been slower. I've hit the plateau in this training cycle which means race day. The past month of restricted running is ready cut loose and I want to see what I can do. 

Have I got a race plan? Yes, it's changed just about daily for the last week. I feel the right strategy for me is to run the first 1-3k at 145 - 155 BPM - I'll run the hills and flats by feel and recover downhill. Beyond that I'll chase who ever is in front. If I feel like running quicker, I'll do it. If I need a breather I'll take it. I know I can sustain 4:10 - 4:20 for 16km... That covers 18-19km, and I'll have to push through the last 4km. Hopefully my training will see me run the last few kms at at least 4:30 pace.

Ultimately I'd like to run at 4:15 -4:30 km pace over the distance. Time will tell, will it be a quick one?

You'll have to follow to see how I go :)

Cheers, Lachie


2 comments:

  1. sounds like you're training smart lachie (both focusing on HR and taking your post-HM recovery seriously) - i think that you're going to kill it at the 16km!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patrick. I'm really keen to see what I can achieve. I feel taking the focus off pace has taken some of the pressure off performance, and it makes a nice surprise when you have a good session. I've also learnt a lot about by body signals. Thanks for the support!

      Delete