Tuesday 4 June 2013

Salomon Trail series - Training Update

So what's new with the fish? 

I was hoping to be writing about how I was chosen to be one of the four 2013 Salomon Trail Series ambassadors. The prize included some photo ops, Salomon trail kit and the chance to write a training blurb and and race reviews for the Rapid Ascent website http://www.salomontrailseries.com.au/. Alas, I was not chosen but had fun thinking of 25 words that summed me up. Between me and the organizers I thought they were pretty good, but for now I'll leave you wondering. 

That leads me to my next point, my training. 

My recent focus has been building speed and strength. I have been putting more power sessions into my weekly routines. Admittedly I've dropped the long runs a little, but I've enjoyed learning to, and pushing myself to run faster. 

My weekly for the last month has been a mix of hill repeats, km on into km off hard tempo runs and a few 6 - 8 km Fartlek sessions. 

It's been a challenge but I feel as though I am making ground. I have three training weeks days until the first 10.9km trail race and I'm keen to go. 

This morning I ran my 'testing ground' run at a planned 4:25 min/km rate. I averaged about 4:35 on the way out and 4:15 on the way back. Total time was 39:43 - the quickest yet. 

So, where to? I have a planned morning run by 'torchlight' on Thursday down along the Yarra trail of the first race, a long run in the hills next weekend and then more speed and power work. 

Again I'm aiming for top 10% in each race. If you spot my pirate wragg, come and say g'day. I hope to see you our there!

Watch this space. I'll update with pics of the first trail race when I find them.

Cheers, Lachie


2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love your blog.. Excellent colors & theme.
    Did you create this web site yourself? Please reply back as I'm hoping to create my own site and want to learn where you got this from or what the theme is called. Thank you!

    My page ... todoaragoncomes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey todo, I'm stoked you've enjoyed the blog. The themes are all stock standard blogger. I've used a standard picture them, I have just chosen an image from the 'abstract' section of the backgrounds in the advanced section. I customized the colour of the fonts a little. Be brave and adventurous, just have a play around and see what works for you.

    Cheers, the fish

    ReplyDelete