Monday 11 February 2013

Refine Training - The finest gym in Kew, Melbourne



After 5 fantastic years of training with Refine Training a.k.a the Refine Gym in Kew, Melbourne it's time for me to share the love. Refine is a hidden gem, one of Melbourne's best smaller gyms. 

Refine is located within the grounds of Trinity Grammar School, Kew. An easy 5 minutes off the Eastern Freeway then via Charles St off Barkers Rd or Stanley St off Wellington St (both also accessible from Glenferrie Rd) it's location is second to none. 

The gym has a large number of spin cycles, treadmills, fixed form and free weights and ample floor space. If that's not enough they have access to full sized basketball court as well as the Peter McIntyre gym composing of three full sized basketball courts. Want more? There's also the Junior School synthetic turf oval which is great for sprint sets and other drills. 

In my time at the gym I've been exposed to and really enjoyed the spin classes and the monstrous Watt bike, boot camp sessions and personal training sessions with Leigh - the director at Refine Kew. Working with Leigh has enabled me to go from a 'runner' to a serious runner. How serious? Check out my race results and runs to find out more :)  Leigh's devised some running programs that have got me through two half marathons, managed me on the bikes to help improve my leg strength and anaerobic and lactic threshold capacities and incorporated core body strength through the Pilate's ball among things. 

The spin classes are always tailor made for each individuals strengths and weaknesses. The strengths are built on and your weaknesses are gradually picked and pulled at until they too become a strength. The camaraderie that I have made at refine get me through the toughest sessions and back for more each week. We often joke of it being the 'house of pain' but its a great pain and for some insane reason, we are back every Tuesday. 

Whilst I've rarely participated in the classes on the other mornings as my recent focus has been on my running, Leigh also offers a different style of training that is just as effective - as I said, tailored to your needs. Don't tell him, but I've often tried them out at home that night.

Speaking of which, Refine Kew is big enough to be everything that you need, but small enough that everyone can say hello with a smile and do what they want to do. 

Still wanting more? Leigh and his team also offer a huge variety of 'non traditional', or are they traditional training methods such as the heavy ropes, sled runs, kettle bells, boxing, one-on-one body strength and core strength specifics.
 I'm just waiting for him to bring an old tree trunk, Rocky style! 

So, at risk of exposing one of Melbourne's best kept fun and fitness secrets, come on down to Refine Training in Kew and join us for a spin or take on the challenge of Boot Camp. Tell Leigh that 'this fish' sent you and check out Refine Training at Kew. 

Cheers, Lachie






No comments:

Post a Comment