Saturday 3 November 2012

2012 Lara Fun Run - 10km results

On a cracker of a morning, the 2012 Lara Fun run has been run and won. Not by me, but I am pretty proud of my results. 

The facts: 248 runners. Me, 10km in 41:12, 7th in my division and 15th overall. After a mad sprint to the finish i missed 14th by a second. He heard me coming and just held on :)

It was an enjoyable morning, about 20 degrees C and not a breath of wind. My amazing wife and I were on the second row of the grid and the starters horn went! 

Set in the scenic Serindip Sanctuary, we ran 2 x 5km laps of the lake on the gravel access road. 

I went out with the lead pack and settled in somewhere about 20th. The first km came round in 3:27 - Holy smoke, was I really travelling that quick or was it a short k? I was content to watch the pacemakers do their thing and I settled into my rythem.  It was round the next bend and the course meandered through the sanctuary and with a few very gentle ups and downs the first 5km done and dusted. My time, no idea as I had accidentally reset my watch at the first km. I was tracking at about 4:10 for the kms. 

At the 5 km mark I had a pack of about 6 runners in front of me and made the decision to hunt them down, one by one! Each km I pulled them back and by the 8km i had reeled in 4 of them and enjoyed about a km run with another bloke - apparently it looked like I was doing it easy... With a km to go I had the other two in my sights and as I hit the last 600m I turned on what I had left. With 200 to go I nailed the next guy and had about 50m to make up over the last 100m on my next placing. 25m I was within 2m and he had just enough in him to maintain that gap. Over the line and there was officially a second between us. 

From there it was a nervous 7 min wait as I waited for the wife to finish. Kids in tow we waited, not patiently for her. Then mummy was coming through. I paced her and encouraged the last 200m and over the line she went, 48:28, a new PB and we were to find out 10th female and 4th in here division. 

I was 42 seconds off the top 10 and she was 42 seconds off third in here division! 


50m to go - a grimmace of pain or smile for the camera?

I wore the Trailroc 235 and they felt awesome. My stride was strong and I felt light on my feet. Now my legs feel great and I'm hoping to get a similar placing next week in the Marysville Running Festival 10km. 

I feel this natural running journey is coming to fruition and cant wait to see what I can do next time and more so in next years running season. 

No comments:

Post a Comment